The District’s Driver Education Program is certified by the New York State Department of Driver Traffic Safety Education (NYSDTSE) and is available for high school students who are at least sixteen (16) years of age on or before the registration date for each session. The New York State Education Department Guidelines for Driver Traffic Safety Education require a minimum of 24 hours of classroom instruction (lecture) and 24 hours of laboratory (in-car) instruction, 6 of which are required to be behind the wheel. This means that a student must fulfill all 48 hours of the program in order to receive an MV-285 certificate. While seniors have preference in registering, the program is available to juniors as well. Registration and payment is completed through www.MySchoolBucks.com
**Spring Driver Education**
Tuesday, January 30, 2024 through Monday, June 24, 2024
Seniors may register beginning Monday, January 8th and Tuesday, January 9th
Juniors may register beginning Wednesday, January 10th and Thursday, January 11th
- The fee of $605.00 can be paid via www.MySchoolBucks.com at the time of registration. Refunds are NOT available for this program. When registering, a Driving Class and a Lecture Class MUST be added to your cart and paid for in the same transaction. Be careful and be sure to select a lecture and drive time that does not conflict.
- Every student must have and submit their driver’s permit and a signed permission slip by the first day of class. Copies must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before the first meeting.
- The district enforces a very strict attendance policy in order to abide by New York State regulations.
- Attendance at ALL lectures and driving lessons is required. Absences: Only one (1) absence is permitted and the lesson must be made up at the end of the course. Students must attend sixteen (16) classes. The Longwood School District CANNOT make exceptions. No refunds will be issued for non-attendance.
- Student and Parent(s) please review the lecture and drive schedule and ensure there are no conflicts with your personal schedules including work, vacations, athletics, field trips, Dr. appointments, etc. If date conflicts are evident you should NOT enroll. No refunds can be issued after the start of the course.
- According to NYS DTSE regulation, a student who does not comply with the attendance policy cannot be awarded their Certificate of Completion at the end of the program.
- Road tests should not be scheduled until you are in possession of your certificate.
- The Driving School with which we contract, Suffolk Auto, recommends the use of a mask while in the car.